New Romney, one of the original five Cinque Ports, was a port town at the mouth of the River Rother, with the sea close to St Nicholas Church and its harbour to the south west of the town. The settlement at New Romney was almost certainly developed as early as c AD 700 when a small group of fishermen’s houses and a church (St Martin) were established on a shingle spur, with a shelving beach and good anchorage developing into a port. https://www.theromneymarsh.net/newromneyhistory.
We are advised that until the 16th century, up to the end of the reign of King Hentry VIII in 1543, there were five parish churches in New Romney: St Laurence, St Martin, St John, St Michael and St Nicholas. Today St Nicholas is the only one remaining.
Today the town itself has an array of independent high street shops, restaurants, cafes and banks and estate agents, with a Sainsbury supermarket in the centre. Also situated in the High street is a The Ship hotel, which is a 15th century pub and hotel, with a large restaurant, a conservatory, and garden. The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch light railway passes through New Romney running from Hythe to Dungeness along a 13.5-mile track. https://www.rhdr.org.uk/
New Romney is (14miles) from Rye, (13miles) from Folkestone, (15 miles) Ashford International Station, (9 miles) Hythe. The area is served well for schooling at primary level www. https://www.st-nicholas-newromney.kent.sch.uk/ as well as the March Academy https://www.marshacademy.org.uk/ at senior level.