Fairfield is about 2 miles from Appledore between Brookland and Brenzett within the level large open space of the Walland Marsh. Today the hamlet is a strung out collection of farm houses and cottages that is accessed by a winding narrow road, that connects back to the A259 to Rye. Fayrefelde however dates back to before 1595 as the old map of the time shows the village approximately where the church now sits.
The main feature of Fairfield is the Church of St. Thomas-a-Becket that stands alone, almost an island, isolated in the middle of a field. It has no graveyard, no trees, no shrubs. It was built in 1200’s of timber lath and plaster but later, in 1912, strengthened with bricks and about 1913 the building was reconstructed and encased to preserve it. There are past stories of the local congregation having the travel to church by boat, before the sea receded. Current access to the church is via foot only crossing a tiny bridge into a field with sheep at the church door. This area has wonderful views across the marsh capturing each season of the year and is well worthwhile to visit.
Rye is 9 miles away while Ashford 20 miles is reached via A2070 with a full range of shopping amenities and transport links to the M20. The nearest railway station at Appledore lies three miles away on the Ashford to Hastings line.©