Brookland is a small village located some 5 miles northwest of Rye and comprising of some 200 dwellings now bypassed by the A259. The village derives its name from the several brooks and waterings within the village bounds and is situated in the heart of the Walland Marsh. The village has a very fine, early English church, originally built about 1250, Grade 1 listed, St Augustine has a most curious feature of a detached wooden bell tower. The tower is octagonal and has a conical roof of three diminishing flounces. It was built separate from the church because it was felt that the marshy ground could not take the weight of both the church building and its six bells. https://theromneymarsh.net/staugustinebrookland. The village is well served for schooling in the area with nursery schooling http://www.nurseryschoolbrookland.org.uk/, Infant school https://www.brooklandinfant.co.uk/ and Primary school https://www.brookland.kent.sch.uk/
The village of Brookland has a traditional main street with a mix of Georgian and Victorian housing and a further selection of post war houses and bungalows with a modern versatile village hall and a range of clubs and organisations where details can be found on the following websites https://www.brooklandpc.kentparishes.gov.uk/clubs-and-groups/
There are two popular pubs in the area, both of traditional style, one is called the Woolpack In, the second is called the Royal Oak. The Royal Oak, a building of Elizabethan origin surrounded by trees. It is lovely to sit in on winter evenings around the roaring fire or for hearty, home cooked, Sunday Lunches.
The nearest shops are in New Romney (3 miles), or Rye (5 miles) away or larger stores at Ashford (18 miles away), with good link connections on the A259 providing access to the M20 at junction 10.©