Advanced Search

£ 0 to £ 5,000,000

More Search Options
we found 0 results
Your search results

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) give information on the energy efficiency rating of a property. The property is assessed on a scale of A (being the most efficient) to G (being the least efficient)  All homes bought, sold or rented require an EPC.

EPCs contain:

information on your home’s energy use and typical energy costs, a recommendation report with suggestions to reduce energy use and save money. Details of the person who carried out the EPC assessment. Who to contact if you want to make a complaint

EPCs carry ratings that compare the current energy efficiency and estimated costs of energy use with potential figures that your home could achieve. Potential figures are calculated by estimating what the energy efficiency and energy costs could be if energy saving measures were put in place.

The average efficiency grade to date is ‘D’. All homes are measured using the same calculations, so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.

EPCs also provide a detailed recommendation report showing how you could reduce the amount of energy you use and your carbon dioxide emissions. The report lists:

Suggested improvements such as fitting loft insulation.

Possible cost savings per year, if the improvements are made.

How the recommendations would change the energy efficiency rating of the property which improvements may be eligible for funding through the Green Deal (which is a Government backed Scheme).

You don’t have to act on the recommendations in the recommendation report. However, if you decide to do so, it could make your property more attractive for sale or rent by making it more energy efficient.

You should receive an EPC when you enquire about buying or renting a home. You’ll need to provide one if you are selling or letting your home. An EPC is valid for ten years.

It should be noted that from 1st April 2018 all lettings properties need to be a minimum EPC E rating for any new rental tenancies. Properties that are already rented have until 2020 to comply.

Please see government link for Landlords:…/the-private-rented-property-minimum-standard-landlord-guidance

Owners of all commercial buildings also have to provide an EPC when they sell or let commercial premises.

A building is defined as a structure with a roof and walls which uses energy to ‘condition an indoor climate’. This means it has heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation.

The building can either be a whole building or part of a building that has been designed or altered to be used separately. If a building is made up of separate units, each with its own heating system, each unit will need an EPC.

The following buildings don’t need an EPC when they are built, rented or sold:

  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings that will be used for less than two years
  • Standalone buildings with total useful floor area of less than 50 square metres that aren’t used to provide living accommodation for a single household
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy
  • Holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy
  • Advanced Search

    £ 0 to £ 5,000,000

    More Search Options
  • Reset Password

Compare Listings